Do you like clementines? Cake? Why not put them together in this dense, moist clementine cake recipe inspired by Nigella Lawson?
Best thing about this recipe is the handful of ingredients and the food processor that does all the work.
There is a teeny bit of prep you have to do – boil the clementines. And you, unlike me, will surely NOT fall asleep during this process and wake up to a ruined pot and have to start all over again.
Anywaaaayyyyy, here’s your RTI:
Always a good idea to crack your eggs separately into a bowl before you add them to your recipe. Helps to keep any errant shells from giving your cake a crunch you weren’t looking for.
- Measuring cups and spoons
- A bowl to crack eggs into
- Food processor
- 8-inch spring form pan (I didn’t have one so I used a 9-inch springform pan)
- 3-4 clementines
- 6 eggs
- 2 -1/4 cups of almond meal
- 1 cup sugar (Nigella uses 1-1/4 cup. I reduced the sugar and would reduce to 3/4 cup next time to see what happens)
- 1 tsp baking powder (use gluten-free baking powder if you want to be absolutely sure the recipe is gluten-free)
Here’s the “How”:
- Put the clementines in a pot of water and boil for 2 hours. Be sure to watch the pot and add more water as needed so the clementines and the pot don’t burn.
- Allow the clementines to cool completely. Then remove any stems and seeds.
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- Grease an 8-inch springform pan. I used a 9-inch springform pan which made the baking time a bit shorter
- Put the clementines into the food processor and blitz them until smooth.
- Add the eggs, almond meal, sugar and baking powder and blitz until blended (you can also do this by hand if you like)
- Pour the batter into the prepared greased spring form pan.
- Pop in the oven. Set the timer to 40 minutes. At that point, check the top of the cake and see if you need to put foil or a burn guard on top of the cake for the rest of the baking time. In the 9-inch pan, the total baking time was 50 minutes. If you use an 8-inch pan, the total baking time will probably be longer and closer to 60 minutes.